Saturday, July 21, 2007

A cup of Josiah

The cool night breeze gently sweeps through my hair curtaining my hair, and for that split second I become that quiet, shy girl I once was. He nudges me from my thoughts, playfully shoving his elbow into my tummy. I look up and smile, assuring him it’s nothing serious.

My whole world changed since I met Josiah.

An art and film major at the University of Champagne. It was his smile and personality that won me over. A medium-built man, with reddish blonde hair, a goatee and the bluest eyes I have ever seen on anyone, he always wore t-shirts that had statements stitched onto them. And he always carried a brown messenger bag, slung across his right shoulder that included everything from his Ipod to his laptop to his favorite book.

I was sulking over something at the library-I can’t recall over what-when he slid over to the seat opposite me, and simply stated “brooding doesn’t suit you”. It was something so unexpected and honest that I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

He had me smiling and laughing over simple topics that we had to leave the library from repeated complaints of us disturbing the others. We walked to a Starbucks coffee place, not three blocks away. Before I knew it, three hours had passed by. I was pleasantly surprised by my meeting with him, that I took the step of asking him his number.

From then onwards, we would meet at Starbucks once in a while and after coffee and an intent discussion on the subject of the day, we would take a stroll. These strolls started getting longer and lasted trough most of the night.

Josiah became one of my best friends. Every problem I had, I would bitch to him about. He would always listen, never complain and advise me on what to do. He would always be my pretend boyfriend for events that required couples. And we both thoroughly enjoyed secretly playing boyfriend and girlfriend with each other.

One day, I hope we can truly have a relationship. One that will include making decisions as one. One that involves moving in together. One that would involve private picnics and make out sessions. Cuddling up during a movie or just holding hands while we walked.

Until then we have our coffee and our night walks.

No comments: